28 September 2008

Ghibli Layout Exhibition

Today I went to the Studio Ghibli Layout Exhibition at the Tokyo Museum of Modern Art, curated by my friend Tomoe Moriyama. It was awesome! They had 1300 pieces of layout art from Studio Ghibli, representing all the movies.

Most of the exhibit was, not surprisingly, forbidden to photograph, but at the end they had several *huge* reproductions of Layouts:

From Tokyo


From Tokyo


(look at the floorboards to get an idea how big these were)

From Tokyo


This was the line to get into the the gift shop at the end. Talk about lost sales!

From Tokyo


They had a really cool activity at the end of the tour. They handed out little round paper stickers, and there was a table of black markers, so you could make your own "kurosuke" (from the dust bunny spirits in the movie My Neighbor Totoro).

From Tokyo


And then they had a lot of wallspace to put your korosuke up on:

From Tokyo


I mean, really a lot of wall space:

From Tokyo


This was a fantastic exhibition and a real opportunity for any Ghibli fans. Unfortunately, today was the last day, so you won't be able to go again! If you do get a chance to get one of the catalogs, though, go for it: it is fantastic. I'm not sure yet, but I think it actually has all 1300 layouts from the show.

1 comment:

Gilles Poitras said...

Oh man I wish I could go.

BTW I'll be there next year, planning another 2 week trip in Oct 2009.