11 June 2008

MacBook update

Last week I was sad b/c my Mac kept crashing (kernel panic) and I had to take it into the Apple Store (happily I bought AppleCare for it so I wasn't worried about the charges). After keeping it for 5 days, they couldn't find any problems with it even though they could see the kernel panics in the panic log.

After I got it back, I tested a little more carefully, and I realized there was probably never any problem with the MacBook, but the Time Capsule I bought a few months ago has grown some data problem that crashes the Mac every time I try to access the incremental backup file. The reason I thought it was a computer problem is because the Mac automatically started a new incremental backup every 30 minutes or so, and boom.

So, really, I should take the Mac and the Time Capsule together to the Apple Store, sigh. I might do that eventually but for now I'll have to go without backup (yeep).

Just for the sake of people who might run into this and Google it, the kernel panic message is below the f. Not to be viewed by humans!


--------------------------------------------

Thu May 29 10:13:43 2008
panic(cpu 1 caller 0x0031678A): "btree_swap_node: about to write corrupt node!\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.4.31/bsd/hfs/hfs_btreeio.c:197
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
No mapping exists for frame pointer
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffffe68

1 comment:

Gilles Poitras said...

Ack!

Just got my iMac out of the shop, the screen was developing pretty little one pixel wide lines of color from top to bottom. The folks at the Applestore fixed it and it is now home.

Hopefully things will get fixed soon for you.