02 December 2007

Shimokitazawa

Every time I've gone out to Shimokitazawa I've had a good time, whether it was eating at an Okinawan restaurant with Makino-san, discovering an awesome Japanese beer emporium or hanging at a hookah bar with Eldred.

After the JLPT today I stopped by Shimokitazawa again, and I'm more convinced than ever it's a future trendy neighborhood. All the ingredients are there: arty fashion and performance spaces, trendy student bars and clubs ("live houses" as they're called here); multiple train lines; and lower-than-current-average apartment prices (maybe still 40% under central Tokyo). I hung out in a local record store and discovered a couple fun new Japanese bands, saw the crowds and the energy... I'm telling ya, invest in Shimokitazawa real estate now! ;-)

No comments: